Friday, April 19, 2013

Unconventional Meet-Cute Site: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market



Are your characters heading down to Southeast Asia for quest or a vacation? Specifically Thailand? Have them visit the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market in Bangkok. Although there are still many floating markets in the country, it is not uncommon to see a merchant paddling down the river selling fruits and vegetables. However, Damnoen Saduak is the most famous floating market in Thailand.

The first time I visited the Damnoen Saduak Floating market, I was very young and the market felt huge to me. It was a lively place full of color and people. At the floating market, you would see vendors sitting in boats paddling down the river selling fruits, vegetables, and flowers along with souvenirs. There are even boats barbecuing skewers of pork. Alongside these vendor boats you will also find tourist rowing down the river experiencing the market front and center.

In my second visit to the floating market, the market felt much smaller than I
remembered. But the crowded waterway filled with row boats and tourist a very much like the pictures found on travel brochures. Although the main market was not like I remembered years ago, I found this experience more fun since my tour guide took us around the “backway” which involved taking a long-tail boat through the neighborhood. This boat ride was different since you actually get to see houses on the riverfront and seeing how to locals live by and off the river. I might have even spotted a local doing their laundry in the river. 

A row of long-tail motor boats.

Having a meet-cute in this scenario maybe a bit more difficult, but I think it would be fun to have your characters get their feet wet. You can decide if you want it to be metaphorically or literally.

  • Your main character is a photographer or explorer riding a long-tail boat and catches the eye of another person on another speeding long-tail.  
  • A character is admiring the fresh fruits from a floating vendor and happens to pick the same pineapple as another, and the vendor mistakes the pair as a couple when in fact they are two strangers.
  • A tourist exploring the floating market is trying to take a “selfie” of the bustling market and a kind handsome/beautiful stranger offers to help.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen photos and my sister and brother-in-law have visited there several times. Such an interesting place! I'd love to go. Especially to do research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thailand is definitely an interesting place. I really like going back to visit. Although I mostly go for the cheap food and fresh tropical fruits.

      It is definitely a great place for research especially if you're looking for an exotic setting.

      Delete
  2. Julia - I totally agree. I keep trying to figure out a plot with my character in China.

    ReplyDelete